- What is the minimum acceptable GRE score?
While we do not have a minimum acceptable GRE score, we highly encourage you to do as well as possible on the GRE. GRE scores are considered when applications are reviewed.
- What is your department code for the GRE?
GRE Codes UCLA institution code (R4837). Slavic, East European and Eurasian Languages and Cultures department code (2606).
- Is the TOEFL required for international students?
Yes, all international students who studied at a university where English was not the primary language of communication must take the TOEFL.
- Is there a minimum acceptable TOEFL score?
Yes, UCLA Graduate Division has set the minimum acceptable TOEFL score at 87.
- What is your department code for the TOEFL?
TOEFL Codes UCLA institution code (4837). Slavic, East European and Eurasian Languages and Cultures department code (22).
- What kind of funding can I expect as a graduate student?
Funding packages will vary for each graduate student. Typically, our department offers fellowships and teaching assistant appointments, and we accept only as many students as we can fund.
- When is the graduate admission application deadline?
The deadline to submit an application for graduate admission is January 15th.
- When are graduate admissions decisions announced?
Graduate admissions decisions are usually rendered in March.
- Do I need to know Russian before I apply?
Yes, you should have a high level of proficiency in the Russian language (at least three years) before applying for our program. Many of our graduate courses are conducted in Russian.
- Do I need an M.A. degree first before applying for the Ph.D. program?
Students are not required to have an M.A before applying to the Ph.D. program in Slavic, East European and Eurasian Languages and Cultures.
- How do I apply to a graduate program at UCLA?
Please visit our application instructions.
- Does the department have a terminal MA-only program?
No, our department does not offer a terminal MA.
- How can I contact professors/faculty in the department?
Faculty contact information can be found under the “People” link from the main webpage.