Give Back Every donation matters.
Ph.D. (Dissertation “Theory and Practice of Writing a Learner-Centered Textbook of Russian as a Foreign Language”), Pushkin Russian Language Institute, Moscow, Russia
Russian language, language education, and heritage language
- Russian from Intermediate to Advanced
- Routledge, 2014
- Kagan, O., & Dillon, K. Issues in Heritage Language Learning in the United States. (2008). In N. Van Deusen-Scholl & N. H. Hornberger (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Language and Education (2nd ed., Vol 4, pp. 143-156). New York: Springer Science+Business Media.
- Kagan, O. (2012) Intercultural Competence of Heritage Language Learners: Motivation, Identity, Language Attitudes, and the Curriculum (), Proceedings, Second Intercultural Competence Conference, University of Arizona
- Kagan, O. & Kudyma, A. (2012) Heritage Language Learners of Russian and L2 Learners in the Flagship Program: A Comparison. Russian Language Journal, Volume 62. pp. 27-46.
- Carreira, M. & Kagan, O.(2011) The Results of the National Heritage Language Survey: Implications for teaching, curriculum design, and professional development. Foreign Language Annals, Volume 44, No 1. pp. 40-64.
- Kagan, O. (2010) Russian Heritage Language Speakers in the U.S.: A profile. Russian Language Journal, Volume 60. pp. 213-228
- Polinsky, M., & Kagan, O. (2007). Heritage Languages: In the ‘Wild’ and in the Classroom. Languages and Lingustics Compass, 1(5), 368-295.
- Kagan, O., & Dillon, K. (2006). Russian Heritage Learners: So What Happens Now? Slavic and East European Journal, (50th Anniversary Issue), 50(1), 83-96.
- Kagan, O. (2005). In support of a Proficiency-Based Definition of Heritage Language Learners: a case of Russian. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, 8(2 & 3), 213-221.
- Kagan, O., & Friedman. D. (2004) Using the OPI to Place Heritage Speakers of Russian. Foreign Language Annals (special OPI issue/guest editor R. Clifford), 36(4), 536-545.
- Kagan, O., & Dillon, K. (2004). Heritage Speakers’ Potential for High-Level Language Proficiency. In H. Byrnes & H. Maxim (eds.), Advanced Foreign Language Learning: A Challenge to College Programs, pp. 99-112. Boston: Heinle/Thomson.
- Kagan, O., & Dillon, K. (2001/2002). A New Perspective on Teaching Russian: Focus on The Heritage Learner. Slavic and East European Journal 45(3), 507-18, rpt. in Heritage Language Journal, 1(1).
Textbooks for Heritage Learners of Russian
- Kagan, O., Kudyma, A (2011) Учимся писать по-русски : экспресс-курс для двуязычных взрослых. Writing in Russian for Russian Heritage Speakers. Zlatoust Publishers, St. Petersburg, Russia.
- Russkij bez granic [Russian without borders]. (2009). With Niznik, M.; Vinokurova, A.; Voroncova, I.Cherp, A. Old City of Jaffa, Israel: Israeli Association for Immigrant Children. and Zlatoust Publishers (hard copy)
- Russian without Borders II (2011) With Niznik, M.; Vinokurova, A.; Voroncova, I.Cherp, A. Zlatoust Publisher, St. Petersburg, Russia
- Kagan, O., Akishina, T., & Robin, R. (2003). Russian for Russians: Textbook for Heritage Speakers. Bloomington, IN: Slavica.
Textbook of Russian as a Foreign Language
- Kagan, O., Kudyma, A., Miller, F. (Fall 2014) Russian: From Intermediate to Advanced. Routledge.
- Kudyma, A., Miller, F., Kagan, O. (2010) Beginner’s Russian. NY, NY: Hypocrene Press
- Rifkin, B., & Kagan, O., with A. Yatsenko. (2006). Advanced Russian through History. Yale University Press.
- Kagan, O., Miller, F., & Kudyma, G. (2005). V Puti: Russian Grammar in Context (2nd edition). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Kashper, M., Kagan, O., & Morozova, Y. (2005). Cinema for Russian Conversation. Volume 1 and Volume 2. Newburyport, MA: Focus Publishers.
- Kagan, O., & Kashper, M. (2000). Chukovskaya’s Sofia Petrovna: Student Edition. Newburyport, MA: Focus Publishers.
For Teachers of Russian as a Foreign Language
- Akishina, A., & Kagan, O. (2002). Uchimsya Uchit’ [We’re Learning to Teach] (2nd expanded edition). Moscow: Russian Language Publishers.
For Teachers of Heritage Languages
- Brinton, D., Kagan, O., Bauckus, S. (Eds.). (2008). Heritage Language Education: A New Field Emerging. New York: Routledge.
- Kagan, O., Rifkin,B., with S. Bauckus (Eds.). (2000). The Teaching and Learning of Slavic Languages and Cultures. Bloomington, IN: Slavica Publishers.
- Kagan, O. (2014) Russian Heritage Language Learners: from Students’ Profiles to Project-Based Curriculum. In T.Wiley, J.Kreeft Peyton, D.Christian, S.C.Moore, N.Liu (Eds.) Handbook of Heritage, Community, and Native American Languages in the United States: Research, Policy, and Educational Practice. Routledge/Cal, 2014.
- Kagan, O. & Dillon, K. (2012) Heritage languages and L2 learning, The Routledge Handbook of Second Language Acquisition. S. Guss and A. Mackey Editors. London: Routledge. pp. 491-505.
- Kagan, O. and Dillon, K. (2009) Preparation of teachers of heritage languages: A Matrix. Proceedings of the Teacher Preparation Conference, University of Minnesota.
- Kagan, O. & Dillon, K., Russian in the United States In Potowski, K. (Ed). (2009). Language Diversity in the United States. Cambridge University Press.
- Friedman, D., & Kagan, O. (2008). Academic Writing Proficiency of Russian Heritage Speakers: A Comparative Study, in D. Brinton, O. Kagan, & S. Bauckus (eds), Heritage Language Education: A New Field Emerging. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum and Associates.
- In B. Leaver, B. Shektman (Eds.) (2002). Developing Professional-level Language Proficiency. Cambridge University Press, 2002
- Angelelli, C., & Kagan, O. Foreign Language for Heritage (Home-Background) Speakers: What the Superior Level Foreign-Language Course May Offer.
- Dabars, Z., & Kagan, O. Teaching Russian Language Teachers in Eight Summer Institutes in Russian Language and Culture.
- All levels of Russian
- Russian Civilization to 1917 (Russian 90A)
- The Teaching and Learning of Heritage Languages (Slavic M114/214; Applied Linguistics M 118/218)
- Methods of Teaching Russian at the College Level (Slavic 495)
- Advanced Tutorials (Russian 187A-M)
- Award for Best Contribution to Pedagogy, AATSEEL, 2001. For the volume: O. Kagan & B. Rifkin, with S. Bauckus (Eds.). (2000). The Teaching and Learning of Slavic Languages and Cultures. Bloomington, IN: Slavica Publishers.
- Award for Excellence in Teaching at the Post-secondary Level, American Association of Teachers of Slavic and East European languages, 2003.
- Award for Best Contribution to Pedagogy, AATSEEL, 2004. For the textbook: Kagan, O., Akishina, T., & Robin, R. Russian for Russians: Textbook for Heritage Speakers. Bloomington, IN: Slavica.