Awards & Recognition
Excellence in Slavic, East European and Eurasian Studies Award
This award is offered to a graduating senior who has demonstrated dedication, knowledge and outstanding motivation in Slavic, East European and Eurasian studies. Both majors and minors in the Department are eligible. For the 2017-18 Academic Year the award will be $500. It may be awarded to one student or split between two.
- Graduating student with senior standing.
- Students majoring or minoring in Central & East European Languages & Cultures, Russian Language & Literature, or Russian Studies.
- GPA in courses relating to the preparation for the major/minor, the major/minor itself and other courses offered within the Department
- Overall GPA
- Level of participation in events sponsored by the Department, such as reciting poetry at Poetry Night, facilitating language club activities, etc.
- Level of language proficiency on the ACTFL scale
- Quality of participation at the University of California Undergraduate Research Conference on Slavic and East/Central European Studies
- Written academic work
- Other related awards or academic distinction
Please submit a letter addressed to the Award Committee that provides the following information:
- Overall GPA
- GPA in courses taken in the Department of Slavic, East European and Eurasian Central European studies
- List of courses taken in the Department
- List of courses related to Slavic, East European and Eurasian Central European studies taken in other departments
- Description of participation in extra-curricular events (Poetry Night, National Essay Contest, Research Conference, etc.)
- Any other relevant information
Your letter (no more than a single page, single spaced) should be accompanied by a 100-200 word essay on why you have chosen to pursue a major or minor in the department of Slavic, East European and Eurasian Languages and Cultures. If you are submitting a class paper as part of the evidence of accomplishment, please submit it in electronic form and indicate in your letter the course for which the paper was written and the grade received.
All materials should be uploaded to the form below under “Apply”.
The deadline for submission is Friday, May 18, 2018 at 5 pm PST.
The award will be announced at the аnnual Department event at the end of the year (Wednesday, May 30; attendance at the event is obligatory).
Questions can be directed to Lisa Audish at email@example.com.