Thank you for your interest in supporting the Department of Slavic, East European and Eurasian Languages and Cultures at UCLA. Individual gifts, as well as public and private grants, support our mission of educating students and pursuing groundbreaking research in the languages and cultures of Central and Eastern Europe and Russia.
Gifts to our Department can be specially earmarked to support instruction, research and extra-curricular programs in:
If you choose, you can contribute to specific funds that have already been set up in the department. These include:
- Slavic Department Chair’s Resource Fund, to support undergraduate scholarship as well as important conferences, workshops, lectures, publications and outreach to the community, including poetry readings, theatrical and musical events involving our undergraduate students.
- The George and Clara Vajna Award in Hungarian Literature and Culture, to support undergraduate or graduate students studying Hungarian languages, literature or culture.
- The J. Randall Bowlus Fund, to support advanced graduate work in Slavic linguistics, including conferences, essay prizes and student publications.
- The Excellence in Russian Fund, to provide support for undergraduates studying the Russian language and offer prizes in such events as state-wide secondary school competitions and undergraduate conferences, and to promote the study of the language at UCLA and in the Southern California community at large.
- The Vladimir Markov Fellowship in Slavic Languages and Literatures, to support UCLA graduate students whose major field of study is Russian literature. It may also be used to promote graduate studies of Slavic literatures through the awarding prizes at graduate student conferences held in California.
We also support Bulgarian and the languages of the Baltic states—Estonian, Latvian and Lithuanian—when grants, fellowships or private donations make instruction possible in these languages and cultures.
Your support can help us to expand our course offerings, mount workshops and conferences and lecture series, maintain our prestigious “UCLA Slavic Series” publications, expand our departmental library holdings, and provide awards for exceptional academic achievement by our students. Major endowments open up the possibility of named chairs and fellowships for graduate and undergraduate student support.
All gifts, large and small, are welcome!
In recognition of the importance of annual gifts to the Department, you will be part of the UCLA leadership giving program, the Chancellor’s Society. As a leadership donor at UCLA, you will receive special courtesies based on your leadership level gift.
Thank you for your support!