Frequently Asked Questions

When is the graduate admission application deadline?

The deadline to submit an application for graduate admission is January 15th. This is for both domestic and international students.

When are graduate admissions decisions announced?

Graduate admissions decisions are usually rendered in March.

What is the minimum acceptable GRE score?

While we do not have a minimum acceptable GRE score, we highly encourage you to do as well as possible on the GRE. GRE scores are considered when applications are reviewed.

What is your department code for the GRE?

GRE Codes UCLA institution code (R4837). Slavic, East European and Eurasian Languages and Cultures department code (2606).

Is the TOEFL required for international students?

Yes, all international students who studied at a university where English was not the primary language of communication must take the TOEFL.

If I am an international student with a degree from an American university, do I need to take the TOEFL?

No. Per UCLA Graduate Division’s English Language Requirements, students who hold a bachelor’s degree or higher from a university located in the United States or in another country in which English is both the primary spoken language of daily life and medium of instruction, you are exempted from both the TOEFL/IELTS requirement.

Is there a minimum acceptable TOEFL score?

Yes, UCLA Graduate Division has set the minimum acceptable TOEFL score at 87. The following are the expected scores for each section:

  • Writing: 25
  • Speaking: 24
  • Reading: 21
  • Listening: 17

Please note that these expected section scores help you judge your English language ability in different areas.

What is your department code for the TOEFL?

TOEFL Codes UCLA institution code (4837). Slavic, East European and Eurasian Languages and Cultures department code (22).

Do I need to know Russian before I apply?

Yes, you should have a high level of proficiency in the Russian language (at least three years) before applying for our program. Many of our graduate courses are conducted in Russian.

Do I need a M.A. degree before applying for the Ph.D. program?

Students are not required to have an M.A. before applying to the Ph.D. program in Slavic, East European and Eurasian Languages and Cultures.

Does the department have a Masters-only program?

No, our department does not offer a terminal M.A.

Can I submit unofficial transcripts with my application?

Yes. Applications are reviewed based on unofficial copies of your transcripts uploaded as part of your application. We only require official transcripts for applicants who are admitted and submit a Statement of Intent to Register (SIR).

How do I apply to a graduate program at UCLA?
What kind of financial support is available to students?

Applicants are automatically considered for four-year financial aid packages by the department. Details of your award will be included in your offer letter, should you be accepted.

For specific information about funding for entering students, please visit

Continuing students may–and are encouraged to–apply to fellowships and grants when possible. Visit for more information.

In addition, all Ph.D. students will have the opportunity to serve as a teaching assistant after spending at least one year in the program. Teaching assistantships are not automatically offered to students but are awarded on the basis of merit.

How do I apply for fellowships as an entering student?

Students may apply for some fellowships directly through the graduate application. Other fellowships require you to be nominated by the department, which you will automatically be considered for once you apply.

For more information about fellowships for entering students, please visit