Give Back Every donation matters.
- 2014 Ph.D. in Slavic Languages and Literatures, University of California, Los Angeles (Dissertation: “Byzantine Liturgy and the Primary Chronicle”)
- 2010 M.A. in Slavic Languages and Literatures, University of California, Los Angeles
- 2005 B.A. in Philosophy and Political Science, Pepperdine University, magna cum laude
- Medieval Studies
- Digital Humanities
- Data Science
- Byzantine Studies
- Russian Literature and Language
- Post-Soviet Religion
- “A ‘New Constantine’ in Rus’: The Liturgical Structure of Prince Vladimir’s Pre-Conversion Biography in the Primary Chronicle.” On Behalf of All and for All: The Place of Liturgy in Russian Culture. Eds. Ronald Vroon, Sean Griffin, Jeffrey Riggs. UCLA Slavic Studies (New Series). Bloomington, IN: Slavica.
- “Le baptême d’Ol’ga dans le Récit des temps passés ou le palimpseste liturgique.” Ecrire et reécrire l’histoire russe, d’Ivan Terrible à V.O Kliuchevskii. Ed. Pierre Gonneau. Paris: Institut d’études slaves.
- Byzantine Liturgy in Rus: The Making of the Kievan Primary Chronicle. Under contract with “Cambridge Studies in Medieval Life and Thought, Fourth Series.” New York: Cambridge University Press.
- On Behalf of All and for All: The Place of Liturgy in Russian Culture. Eds. Ronald Vroon, Sean Griffin, Jeffrey Riggs. UCLA Slavic Studies (New Series). Bloomington, IN: Slavica.
- “V. V. Rozanov.” Peer-reviewed encyclopedia entry for the Routledge Encylopedia of Modernism. Ed. Megan Swift. London: Routledge.
- History of Russia, Origins to the Rise of Muscovy
- Literature and Revolution
- Intermediate Russian
- Medieval East Slavic Literature (Stanford University, 2015)
- Christianity, East and West
- Introduction to Russian Civilization
- Elementary Russian
- Russian Novel in Translation
- Russian Civilization in the 20th Century
- “The ‘Apostle Constantine’ and the Chronicles of Medieval Rus’.” Interdisciplinary Symposium: “Constantine and the Grandeur that was Rome.” Oxford, England: University of Oxford. (2013)
- “Orthodox Liturgy and the Primary Chronicle.” Voces Nostrates Lecture Series. University of California, Los Angeles. Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies.(2013)
- “The Orthodox Salvation Story: Ritual, Narrative, and Conversion in the Primary Chronicle.” Association for Slavic, Eastern European and Eurasian Studies (ASEEES) Conference. Boston, MA. (2013)
- “The Liturgical Subtext of Princess’ Olga’s Baptism in the Primary Chronicle.” Colloque International: Ecrire et reecrire l’histoire russe, d’Ivan le Terrible a Vassili Kliutchevskii. Paris, France: Universite Paris-Sorbonne. (2012)
- “Vasilii Rozanov and the Religion of Sex.” Association for Slavic, Eastern European and Eurasian Studies (ASEEES) Conference. New Orleans, LA. (2012)
- “The Strangeness of Christ in V.V. Rozanov’s ‘Protestant Poetics’.” American Association of Slavic and East European Teachers (AATSEEL) Conference. Seattle, WA. (2012)
- “Is Beauty Moral? Tolstoy, Dostoevsky and the Influence of Orthodox Liturgical Aesthetics in Nineteenth Century Russian Literature.” Sophia Institute Conference. New York, NY: Columbia University/ Union Theological Seminary. (2011)
- “Changes in Tolstoy’s Axiology from War and Peace to Anna Karenina.” Davis School of Russian Graduate Student Conference. Middlebury, VT. (2011)
- “The Mother of God and the mother of Rus’: How Byzantine Liturgics Gave Birth to the Primary Chronicle.” California Slavic Colloquium. Los Angeles, CA: University of Southern California. (2010)
Digital Humanities Projects
- The Algorithm of Salvation: Topic Modeling and the Search for Christian Liturgy in the Full Collection of Russian Chronicles (Полное собрание русских летописей).
- “Visualizing Shakhmatov”: An Experimental Data Visualization of the Textual History of the Kievan Primary Chronicle.