Teaching Assistantships and Academic Apprenticeship
Teaching Assistantships are paid apprenticeships intended to provide qualified students with relevant training experience for academic and academic-related careers in teaching and research.
Graduate students within the department have priority for all our TA positions. Any opportunities for outside TAs will be posted to the TA Marketplace. More information about the TA Marketplace can be found on the Graduate Division’s website.
Graduate students who are recipients of teaching and research assistantships must meet all registration and enrollment criteria established by the Graduate Council and the department. All appointees must also maintain satisfactory progress throughout their appointments.
In order to be eligible for an Academic Apprentice Position, you must:
- be a registered and enrolled UCLA graduate student or department scholar;
- have no more than 12 quarters as a TA, and no more than 18 quarters total as a TA or GSR;
- have at least a 3.0 GPA;
- be enrolled in 12 units;
- have less than 50% aggregated appointments;
- be a U.S. citizen, a native-English speaker, or pass the Test of Oral Proficiency (TOP).
- Make arrangements to take the TOP through the Office of Instructional Development and validate their score. More info.
- File for an exception to the policies above to the Dean of the Graduate Division at least three weeks in advance of the hire date. Exceptions must be arranged by and submitted through the department’s Student Affairs Officer (SAO).
For additional information regarding Teaching Assistantships or other apprenticeship positions available in Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Languages and Cultures, please contact the department SAO.
- Working at UCLA
- Academic Apprentice Salary Scales
- Work Eligibility for AB540/DACA Students
- Petition to Work Over 50% Time
- Petition to Appoint a Departmental Scholar as a Teaching Assistant
- ASE/GSR Advance Loan Authorization
- Childcare Reimbursement Program